Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Words Too

I plead for adventure, for the active and unknown. I ask to see beauty and find a deeper appreciation of what this world has to offer. But more often than not the most joyful moments I can remember involve no need of grand expeditions into unknown places, no picture perfect moments of unprecedented majesty, they are not once in a lifetime experiences with no repeat button, but rather the exchange of words on any given day. Funny thing is, I never know what it is I want to say until long after I start saying it, I am in general a pretty quiet person, and I realized sometime in the last year that small talk is not something I’m proficient at. I can’t convey my opinion on a subject in a two to five minuet conversation, and knowing what question to ask in order to keep a discussion alive is a rare thing for me.

And then there are those moments, when a conversation is fully alive and two people are willing to discuss life in all its beauty or lack there of. These moments when I would consider myself truly blessed to do nothing more than spend the day talking. More than likely you know the type of conversation I’m referring to. Those full days spent in a cafĂ© with a friend, the two and three am but wouldn’t dream of going to sleep nights, the people must think were crazy to be sitting in my car hours, or perhaps this walk was not long enough thoughts. For me these are the experiences that truly build a friendship, the ones that make life worthwhile, the moments when I learn to let my guard down and process through what’s really happening in my life, or what seems to be missing from it.

And then I realize it’s these conversations that I should be experiencing with God on a daily basis. The message this morning at church was about prayer, about God knowing what it is we need but leaving it in our hands to ask for it. We may wonder why it is He does this, why He wants so desperately for us to be a part of getting Him involved, and I think maybe, He likes the conversation too. I’ve heard it said before, the one difference between Christianity and all other religions is the relationship we are given the opportunity to experience with a living God. It’s this relationship that was broken in the garden and restored through the cross, it’s this relationship we experience when we pray, it’s this relationship that allows God to move in our lives, and it is this relationship that we must take the time to build, the one that God longs for us to be a part of, the one that needs my words too.

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment