Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Past Makes Us Who We Are (Guatemala part one)



Roughly three and a half years ago I took my second trip to Guatemala, I went with my sister and a group from our church, as a team we meet weekly for about 3-6 months before the trip to pray, prepare, and establish community and unity for what we were about to do. As that team we spent about a week serving in the mountains of Guatemala and ministering as best we could to all those we came in contact with. By the time we came home most if not all of us felt like family or at least close friends, and had gone through what most people would call a life changing or once in a lifetime experience. It’s crazy how it works but that’s what the mission field does to people, whatever the trip happens to be it’s nearly impossible not to be changed by it in some way.


In my time getting ready for that trip I wanted more than anything to feel a connection to Guatemala, the connection my sister and several other members of my team had talked about, you see I didn’t feel it the first time around, that trip was about something else for me, so I was sure on take two I would finally get it, have that life altering I need to move here kind of moment, but simply put I was wrong. And if you had asked me then what that trip was about I would have said community, we did a lot of good work while we were there, we served our purpose and blessed the ministry, but what I missed most when I got home was not Guatemala or the ministry we were serving it was my team and the community we lived in for that week together, you see I’ve never been a super social person and I’m not the best at making friends, but I’m not really a loner either and I don’t like doing things on my own so in that moment in that community I felt like I belonged and that’s what I wanted to hold onto.


But when we came home life happened, instead of sticking together and living like the church we stared living our lives again, myself included. So from event after event, to circumstances and countless situations life took its toll and our community fell apart. People made stupid decisions that drew them away from God and the people who loved them, some chose different paths or churches and moved on with their lives and others simply faded gradually, no bold statements or conscious decisions but three and a half years later I don’t really know them anymore, and out of a group of 16 people I’m more than facebook friends with only three.


So why am I writing all of this? And what does it have to do with my most recent trip? Well for starters I’m writing it because it’s what happened, I might not like it, I might not be proud of it but it’s part of who I am in a way, when I got home three and a half years ago my trip was about the people I shared it with, but if you asked me today what that second trip was about the people would only be a small part of it because maybe in that season I needed that community but now I belong to a different community and that old one no longer exists. That may sound harsh and by all means it should not have turned out this way but it happened and I learned from it and I don’t want to repeat the same mistakes and that’s what it has to do with my most recent trip. But also when I look back on that trip now what I remember most is that when we left God told me I would be going back to that place and I did…           
       

No comments:

Post a Comment